Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

Wally's

It's where I eat almost every work day.

Picture a 200 square foot hole in the wall that is standing room only - a glass counter displays cold cuts and behind it 2 shrunken old foreign women make sandwiches for about £2.50 ($4.30!). More importantly, the portions served dominate any local competition.

Wally is also there, taking orders and helping out which means there are 3 people crammed into a space 1 Pennsylvanian could not fit. 2 more sandwiches and I will be that Pennsylvanian.

Wearing gloves while preparing other people's food is not standard practice at Wally's. Additionally, to ensure maximum exposure to filth all three employees not only prep sandwiches, they handle money. Logistically, this is the only supply chain management system that would work given the space constraints. It would be safe to bet that if Wally's were big enough to have an employee bathroom the plaque would read: Get back to work, washing your hands takes time.
Lastly, I have noticed that Wally has open sores on his hands and forearms. No matter though - if needbe I could pick Wally above my head Ultimate Warrior style and show his face what cold canvass feels like.
He's shorter than me.

In a 5 day work week I eat at Wally's 5 times. I'll get in 3 lunches and 2 breakfasts. You can't beat a cup of coffee for £0.65! Anywhere else is about £1.50 or above and at that point you're approaching a $3.00 coffee.
Oh and side commentary - if you are male living in the US and you pay more than $3 for your morning fix then I wish herpes on your first born.

So I sprinkle fingernail dirt on those that chastise me for being a germaphobe.
If I don't shake your hand it's because I don't like you.

Stern





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?